Free Online Access After One Year?

From: Richard Gordon <gordonr_at_Ms.UManitoba.CA>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:10:02 +0100

Dear Stevan,
I understand your arguments on making online access to the scientific
literature free. However, I'd like to suggest a compromise, which
some publishers might be willing to implement right away:

All online journal articles will become accessible for free at a
fixed interval after publication.

A reasonable interval might be one year. Few sales of printed
journals occur after a year, so only those people needing rapid
access (and not willing to do the work of writing for reprints or
accessing preprint depositories) would pay.

Yours, -Dick
ps: I don't have the instructions for posting this on bionet. maybe
you could do that for me?
--
Dr. Richard Gordon, Radiology
University of Manitoba, HSC Rm. GA216, 820 Sherbrook St.