Re: Central vs. Distributed Archives

From: Greg Kuperberg <greg_at_MATH.UCDAVIS.EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 08:27:20 -0800

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 03:15:36PM +0000, Stevan Harnad wrote:
> So the answer is: Sure I'd have been happy to have CogPrints subsumed
> by arXiv if that had proved to be the way to get the entire refereed
> corpus online and free. But now it looks as if OAI-compliant
> distributed Eprint Archiving (including arXiv) will instead be
> "subsumed" into the global virtual Eprint Archive.

I have learned not to claim that the arXiv is the Philosopher's Stone,
much as I would like it to be. But if you're serious about merging
with the arXiv, let's see how well OAI is doing in a year, as measured
by the number of search queries at multiarchive OAS agents.
--
  /\  Greg Kuperberg (UC Davis)
 /  \