Re: Self-Archiving and the reaction of publishers

From: Bernard Naylor <B.Naylor_at_SOTON.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 16:20:56 +0000

Yes; I think that this is publication. And I think that
what happens when someone puts an article on an
e-repository, whether refereed or not, is so similar to
what you describe that it falls into the same category, if
categories is what we are talking about.

Bernard Naylor

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:54:25 -0500 Thomas Bacher
<bacher_at_purdue.edu> wrote:

> Actually, copyright exists in the same force for items not published as for
> items published. The only difference really exists in the sense that sales
> can be hurt for commercially published materials. However, if someone
> violates your copyright by publishing a work that you had written, since you
> own the copyright for this without having it registered or not, you have all
> legal avenues available to redress your grievance.
>
> Publishing is another matter. That is, we are beginning a new e-only line of
> scholarly books (see www.thepress.purdue.edu). These books will be available
> digitally, will have ISBNs, will be published under our imprint, and will be
> available for distribution. I imagine that this is publication? No?
>
> Thomas Bacher, Director, Purdue Press
> 1207 SCC-E, W. Lafayette, IN 47907-1207
> (765)494-2038 Fax: (765)496-2442
> www.thepress.purdue.edu
>
> Be at your life-long-learning best. Read from a University Press.

Bernard Naylor Email: bn_at_soton.ac.uk
University Librarian Tel: 023 8059 2677
University of Southampton Fax: 023 8059 5451
Highfield
Southampton, SO17 1BJ