Re: Central vs. Distributed Archives

From: Greg Kuperberg <greg_at_MATH.UCDAVIS.EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 10:47:58 -0800

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 05:58:14PM +0000, Tim Brody wrote:
> I may also point out that there are already archives that perform
> distributed mirroring - math arXiv is primarily made up of papers that
> have been archived elsewhere (judging by the lack of associated meta
> data and updates).

I don't understand this comment. Most of the papers in the math arXiv
are eventually published, and many are in preprint series of one sort
or another. However I conjecture that at least half of the submissions
in the most recent three months are not on any other web site, not
even on a home page. And for those that are not published or not yet
published, the arXiv is the only project that explicitly promises to
keep them permanently.
--
  /\  Greg Kuperberg (UC Davis)
 /  \