Re: Survey: How many refereed journals can your library NOT afford?

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:12:23 +0000

At 08:35 17/01/01 -0500, Albert Henderson wrote:
>Clearly, sponsored research is aimed primarily at keeping
>our most profitable universities well in the black. Agency
>and university managers have no interest in productivity.
>The real scandal is the relationship of science agencies to
>research universities, as I describe at length in
>"Undermining Peer Review" in the current issue of SOCIETY
>38(2):47-54 2001.

You may have a good point. I can't tell whether I agree or disagree until I
see the detail of your argument in this paper, but I can't access it now
(no url), which seems to be more germane to this thread.

If you are right then I believe that free universal access to
author-archived versions of their papers as a basis for evaluated
publication will significantly improve the quality of research.

Steve Hitchcock
Open Citation (OpCit) Project <http://opcit.eprints.org/>
IAM Research Group, Department of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3256 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865