Re: ELSSS Proposal: reply to Harnad

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:51:03 +0000

Manfredi La Manna (MLM) -- whose efforts with ELSSS I wish every
success -- has not understood the points I made. I will quote/comment
below. The misunderstanding is easily summarised:

MLM thinks that if authors self-archived their refereed papers this
would lead to the "collapse of the refereed journal system." This is
pure speculation on MLM's part, and not only does all the existing
evidence go against this speculation, but so does the logic of the explicit
transition scenario I have many times described. MLM has missed that logic
and completely skipped over the transition scenario. I will try to make
it even more explicit for him below.