Re: PostGutenberg Copyrights and Wrongs for Give-Away Research

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 06:24:28 +0100

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Alan Story wrote:

> Sally Morris' note raised the issue of copyright and journals on your list.
> And so I responded with a copyright and journals-related response.
> If you do not want copyight-related posts, then don't put them on the first
> place.

Copyright and journals is entirely relevant to this Forum, whose topic
is the freeing of the refereed research literature online. (I am not
sure what made you think it was not relevant.)

> And no lectures, thank you.

Again, I am not sure what you mean here. I am the moderator of the
Forum, but I am also a contributor. As contributor, I express my
viewpoint, just as other contributors express theirs. Are you
construing a differing viewpoint as a lecture? (Is that then
reciprocal?)

By way of clarification: There is a "fair use" issue for text book
materials, for teaching purposes. That is royalty-based material, not
author give-away, as refereed research is. That is why it is so
important not to conflate the two.

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Tp/resolution.htm#1
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Tp/resolution.htm#5

I would be interested to hear your viewpoint about that.

Stevan Harnad harnad_at_cogsci.soton.ac.uk
Professor of Cognitive Science harnad_at_princeton.edu
Department of Electronics and phone: +44 23-80 592-582
             Computer Science fax: +44 23-80 592-865
University of Southampton http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/
Highfield, Southampton http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/
SO17 1BJ UNITED KINGDOM