Re: PostGutenberg Copyrights and Wrongs for Give-Away Research

From: Albert Henderson <chessNIC_at_COMPUSERVE.COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:54:15 -0400

As Thosten Veblen wrote of university managers, "The last
resort of the apologists for these more sordid endeavours
is the plea that only by this means can the ulterior ends
of a civilization of intelligence be served. The argument
may fairly be paraphrased to the effect that in order to
serve God in the end, we must all be ready to serve the
Devil in the meantime." [The Higher Learning in America.
Originally published 1918 by B. W. Huebsch, Inc. Reprinted
1993 by Transaction p. 9]

If libraries and librarians have been economically abused
it has been at the hands of university managers far more
than publishers. The aim of this forum, it seems clear to
me (whether Harnad et al. are ready to admit it) is to end
spending on libraries as soon as author-archiving can be
offered as a substitute for "ownership." Like many described
by Nicholson Baker in DOUBLE FOLD, well intentioned librarians
and others have turned into shills for every alternative to
the process of formal dissemination of research.

Where is the passionate advocacy in support of fairer
budgets for libraries, rather than justifying financial
surpluses that serve no educational purpose?

Best wishes,

Albert Henderson
<70244.1532_at_compuserve.com>