Re: PostGutenberg Copyrights and Wrongs for Give-Away Research

From: Sally Morris <sec-gen_at_ALPSP.ORG>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:32:38 +0100

Apologies for the belated response.

I was particularly interested in what Stevan said about journals: "We have
the established journal, with its reliable, known, quality-control "tag,"
its name, associated until now with articles of a known kind and quality."

I think this is an enormously important aspect of what journals (and those
who create and publish them) actually do. The journal is a kind of
'envelope' in which readers can be reasonably confident of finding content
on a particular subject, possibly with a particular editorial slant or
article type, and of a certain general quality standard.

An established journal which performs this function doesn't just happen.
Publishers carry out extensive market research to discover whether an idea
for a new journal (which may have been suggested by an academic, or by a
member of the publisher's staff) has any viability in terms of potential
authors and readers. If the idea looks viable, then considerable time,
effort and money will be invested in creating and launching the journal,
which is unlikely to bring in any profit/surplus whatsoever for 5 years or
more.

Publishers don't always get it right - some new journals never reach
profitability; they may be closed, merged with another journal, or
continued because the publisher believes the journal is worthwhile and can
afford to support it out of other sources of profit.

I think the discussions on this list have tended to overlook this
important - perhaps the most important - aspect of what journal publishers
actually do.

Sally

Sally Morris, Secretary-General
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK

Phone: 01903 871686 Fax: 01903 871457 E-mail: sec-gen_at_alpsp.org
ALPSP Website http://www.alpsp.org

Learned Publishing is now online, free of charge, at
www.learned-publishing.org