Re: Elsevier's ChemWeb Preprint Archive

From: Jim Till <till_at_UHNRES.UTORONTO.CA>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 14:42:16 -0400

On Tue, 29 May 2001, I posted message to this Forum which included this
criticism of the Chemistry Preprint Server (CPS):

[jt]>Another flaw [is that the CPS isn't] on the list of "Open Archives"
[jt]>(at: http://oaisrv.nsdl.cornell.edu/Register/BrowseSites.pl).
[jt]>So, the CPS archive doesn't meet an "inter-operability" criterion.

I've just received a copy of Volume 4, Issue 33 of the ChemWeb.com News
Bulletin (distributed to subscribers via email on August 15, 2001). It's
a special issue in recognition of the establishment of the CPS, a year ago
(on August 21, 2000 - the CPS is at: http://preprint.chemweb.com).

An excerpt from this newsletter:

> The CPS was developed by closely following the Los Alamos archives
> (http://arxiv.org), which cover physics and related disciplines. In
> setting up the service ChemWeb.com has constantly referred to the Open
> Archive Initiative (http://www.openarchives.org) for e-print archives.

In this excerpt, it's emphasized that the design of the CPS server has
been guided by the Open Archives Initiative. But, it seems to me that a
crucial element, inter-operability of OAI-compliant eprint archives,
probably still isn't being met by the CPS server.

I've just visited the current list of registered OAI-conforming
repositories (see:
http://oaisrv.nsdl.cornell.edu/Register/BrowseSites.pl).

The CPS isn't listed. So, either it's registered but doesn't appear yet
on the list, it isn't registered, or it isn't fully OAI-conforming. I
suspect that it isn't fully OAI-conforming.

Have I missed something?

Jim Till
University of Toronto