Re: Elsevier's ChemWeb Preprint Archive

From: Weeks, James (ELSLON) <"Weeks,>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:26:22 +0100

Questions and comments regarding the CPS have been cross-posted by list
owners to various other relevant lists. For this reason please forgive this
similar cross-posting in response.

This message is posted to:

{AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM_at_LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG, chemweb_at_ic.ac.uk,
oai-general_at_oaisrv.nsdl.cornell.edu}

Firstly, I would like to thank everybody for their comments regarding the
evolution of the Chemistry Preprint Server (CPS). I would like to briefly
address some of the points that have been raised.

Jim Till has provided some very revealing analysis of the submissions to the
CPS
(http://listserver.sigmaxi.org/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind01&L=september98-forum&F
=l&P=29519). It will certainly be interesting to repeat this analysis when
more preprints have been submitted.

To this, I would like to add that each article that is submitted to the CPS
has its own discussion group where users can comment on the content of the
article. It is encouraging that there has been sustained use of these
discussion groups. For example, 45 of the 282 preprints submitted now have
more than 3 threads in their discussions. I think it will also be
interesting to monitor how this feature is used.

Regarding the issue of compliance with the Open Archives Initiative (OAI) I
would like to confirm that we have constantly referred to the initiative
when developing the CPS. This is certainly a high priority because
ChemWeb.com has developed the CPS as a service for the worldwide chemistry
community.

It is our intention that the CPS will be compliant within the next two
months.

I hope that this has helped to address some of the issues raised. We would
of course welcome any feedback or comments on the service.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally if you have any queries or
comments.

Best regards,

James Weeks

James Weeks
Chemistry Preprint Server Coordinator

ChemWeb Inc.
84 Theobald's Road
London WC1X 8RR
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7611 4480
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7611 4301
Email: James.Weeks_at_ChemWeb.com

http://preprint.chemweb.com
http://www.chemweb.com

Meet us at the ACS National Meeting - Chicago - August 27-29 - Booth 337