Re: Reasons for freeing the primary research literature

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:16:55 +0100

At 16:46 20/08/01 -0400, Albert Henderson wrote:
> I am not getting through. I should have asked,
>
> Are there any valid reasons
> to justify massive self-archiving?

Yes:
Improved access to data - faster, available everywhere, always
Higher productivity
Better journals
Better research

There is a tendency in this forum to become too concerned with the means
rather than the end - better research. Research must be progressive,
building on earlier findings, which is the primary purpose of dissemination
and publication. Publication is not the end. Publication is one of the
means. There are distractions, like the academic reward structure, which
viewed selfishly suggest the opposite, but ultimately if better research is
the goal then the means will take care of itself.

Steve Hitchcock
Open Citation (OpCit) Project <http://opcit.eprints.org/>
IAM Research Group, Department of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3256 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865