Re: ALPSP statement on BOAI

From: Sally Morris <sec-gen_at_ALPSP.ORG>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 16:06:18 -0000

Isn't Stevan's position a bit like making chocolates free and suggesting
that people pay for the box if they want to?

Seriously though, ALPSP is currently carrying out another large-scale
research study to ask academics what they think - and do - about all types
of electronic publication, both traditional and new. The results may help
us move this issue forward. In the meantime, ALPSP remains convinced that
much of what traditional publishing does will continue to be of value. We
therefore urge the development and testing of alternative business models
before, and not after, moving to a 'give it all away' framework which risks
pulling down what people do value, as well as what they don't.

Sally