Re: OAI and the rational publisher

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 17:26:14 -0500

Should a rational publisher fear the OAI?

A rational publisher need not and does not fear the OAI for those
journals which are worth reading, and consequently worth buying; it will
both now and in the future be able to sell these.

It certainly ought to fear for those journals that are not worth
reading, and consequently not worth buying. The only function of these
journals is to certify publications as having been at least
superficially "peer-reviewed." This can obviously be done at a much
lower cost; thus, if they continue to publish these journals at anywhere
near the present prices, they will not be able to sell them. Considering
the low demand, it seems probable to me that they might not be able to
reduce their costs enough to sell them at all.

The solution for a publisher is obvious: it should publish good
journals, and only good journals. A publisher complaining about the
threat of OAI suggests that it knows very well that the quality of its
journals cannot compete.

David Goodman
Research Librarian and
Biological Science Bibliographer