Re: The True Cost of the Essentials

From: Mark Doyle <doyle_at_APS.ORG>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 13:58:03 -0500

On Tuesday, April 2, 2002, at 01:08 PM, Stevan Harnad wrote:

> I have invited Mark Doyle of APS to specify concretely what parallel
> measures he is recommending that BOAI pursue in order to ensure true
> archiving in the long-term. BOAI's mandate is to hasten and facilitate
> open access for the entire peer-reviewed corpus, now, but if there are
> concrete parallel measures that do not retard the primary objective,
> I am sure that BOAI will be happy to take them on board. Unfortunately,
> Mark's (somewhat piqued) reply is far too vague to consititute a
> concrete
> recommendation:

Suffice it to say that a concrete recommendation will be forthcoming (not
in days, but months most likely). My main goal is to raise awareness at
institutions
and libraries that want to promote non-publisher archiving of research
articles. They
should consider carefully what kind of infrastructure should be built and
understand what costs are involved so that can be covered in any new
economic model that is to supplant the subscription model. Such
understanding
may be helpful for extant journals trying to undo the subscription model
and
for establishing alternative journals on a sound financial footing
without
losing some important benefits provided by the status quo.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Doyle
Manager, Product Development