Re: ALPSP statement on BOAI

From: Sally Morris <sec-gen_at_ALPSP.ORG>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 11:41:47 +0100

Let me try again:

Publishers acknowledge that authors want to make their work as widely
available as possible. However, we are also convinced (and the ALPSP
research bears this out) that publishing can add considerable value (rated
by authors and readers, not just by publishers!) over and above peer review.
We are concerned that moves which undermine the current model for funding
that added value before having found a sustainable alternative model may
destroy the ability to add that value.

Developments will, indeed, make it possible to access all the contents of a
journal without paying the publisher, if authors archive their final
versions in a sufficiently searchable/retrievable way. This is why we are
convinced that the most urgent need is to ascertain (a) what is sufficiently
valuable to authors/readers to be worth preserving and (b) how to pay for
that.

Sally

Sally Morris, Secretary-General
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK

Phone: 01903 871686 Fax: 01903 871457 E-mail: sec-gen_at_alpsp.org
ALPSP Website http://www.alpsp.org

Learned Publishing is now online, free of charge, at
www.learned-publishing.org