Re: Author Self-Archiving versus Author/Institution Self-Archiving

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 18:24:31 +0100

In focussing on the archiving of eprint papers, Roy Tennant is correct to
make the distinction between author "self-archiving" and archiving by a
third party, which could be by an institutional staff member, as he says.
There is a third model here, which is archiving by publisher, as in the
PubMed Central model.

The critical distinction to make in these cases is cost. All three models
have the same objective, or at least they should do, which is to provide
free and open access to the full texts of refereed papers. That objective
is compromised if costs are too high.

The pre-eminent model, arXiv, based on author self-archiving, estimates
costs of less than 5 US dollars per archived paper
http://associnst.ox.ac.uk/~icsuinfo/ginspargfin.htm (Figure 1)

Are the other models capable of keeping costs low enough to maintain free
access? What are the principal costs of these other approaches? They are
inevitably going to be more expensive than arXiv simply because they
involve a degree of manual labour.

Given Roy's assessment of the needs of users in the widest sense, there
clearly is a need for tailored and targetted services, but what is
essential and what 'value-added'? Maybe some of those with experience of
third-party archiving can elaborate and quantify what they believe to be
the main, essential costs.

It is vital that the objective of free access can be sustained by these
services. My concern, and it is heightened when we start using terms such
as 'branding' and making assumptions that 'most faculty shouldn't ever'
self-archive, is that we may be letting early enthusiasm or current funding
levels, or whatever, distract us from producing a longer-term business
model for the free (to the user) *part* of the service. In this model every
extra cent or penny of cost is critical.

Steve Hitchcock
Open Citation (OpCit) Project <http://opcit.eprints.org/>
IAM Research Group, Department of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3256 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865