Re: What About the Author Self-Archiving of Books?

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:52:54 +0100

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Thomas Krichel wrote:
> Michael Meier writes
> > I would like to inform you about a new book [in German] published in
> > mid-june about the future of the publishing trade facing mounting
> > opposition by libraries and other pressure groups. The title of
> > the book is "Returning Science to the Scientists. Der Umbruch im
> > STM-Fachinformationsmarkt durch Electronic Publishing" (in German).
> > http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2B542641 -- Michael Meier
>
> that automated translation does do a pretty good job. I bet
> if the whole book was available online, the automated
> translation could do a pretty good job of opening it up
> to the anglo-saxon audience. I would certainly recommend it
> to my students if it was freely available online. I could not
> find a free online copy, so I wont bother. -- Thomas Krichel

Not so simple. See:

"Journal Papers vs. Books: The Direct/Indirect Income Trade-off"
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0317.html

"What About the Author Self-Archiving of Books?"
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0450.html

"1.1. Distinguish the non-give-away literature from the give-away literature"
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Tp/resolution.htm#1.1

Stevan Harnad

NOTE: A complete archive of the ongoing discussion of providing free
access to the refereed journal literature online is available at the
American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00 & 01):
                            or
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html

Discussion can be posted to:

See also the Budapest Open Access Initiative:
    http://www.soros.org/openaccess

and the Free Online Scholarship Movement:
    http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/timeline.htm