Re: Ingenta to offer OAI eprint service

From: Richard Stallman <rms_at_gnu.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 18:35:08 -0600 (MDT)

    No. Someone is (passively) failing to provide free access to their own
    contributions to those journals, and that someone is the author of each
    and every article appearing therein (with the exception of a growing
    number of physicists and a few other disciplines at last beginning to do
    the right thing!).

I would like to believe this, but my imperfect memory of the
publication contract I got from CACM seems to say that authors are not
allowed to do this if they sign such contracts. (That is part of the
reason I always insist on renegotiating them.)