Re: PostGutenberg Copyrights and Wrongs for Give-Away Research

From: Seth Johnson <seth.johnson_at_REALMEASURES.DYNDNS.ORG>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 11:58:38 -0400

Im America, the "codification" of which Stevan speaks must
not be called a property right. It is an artificial
monopoly that may be granted (or for that matter, denied) by
Congress within very important parameters. The
"giveaway/nongiveaway" distinction serves a political
purpose, while it must be stressed that in the area of
copyright, it fails to emphasize that we are speaking of an
artificial grant of exclusive rights to "expression" per se,
as opposed to any creation of a "property" right to
information.

Seth Johnson

--
[CC] Counter-copyright: