Re: Access-Denial, Impact-Denial and the Developing and Developed World

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 19:01:09 +0100

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Barbara Kirsop wrote:

> [On] the relative importance to scholars in the developing world of
> access-denial v impact-denial...: all information is equally important...

> >Professor Arunachalam, Swaminathan Foundation, Chennai, India
> All information is important... North to South flow, South
> to North flow and South to South flow all are equally important.
>
> > Daisy Ouya, Editor, Kenya:
> DC researchers need access to S literature, as well as N literature,
> each for specific purposes... global distribution of one's research
> is important to N and S researchers equally.

I stand corrected! (I had said I thought that for S, access-denial TO
N-research was more important than impact-denial OF S-research.)

> Barbara Kirsop:
> The establishment of eprint archives in developing countries will
> accelerate the flow of information from S to S, and also from S
> to N... To this end, the continuing availability and development
> of free open source eprint software is essential.

We will do everything possible to ensure the continuing availability and
development of that free open source software
http://www.eprints.org/software.php

Stevan Harnad