Re: ALPSP Archiving Seminar - 29th November 2002

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:33:57 -0500

Stevan, I think this should be considered
from a wider perspective.

Of course open archiving will give us permanent and
free access to the scientific record. But we also need permanent access to
what has already been published, and what will be published in the
near future, until open archiving has been successful.
Even for material
published under both systems, a research library will feel that both
forms need to be preserved.

Eventually the copyright on conventionally published material will
expire (presumably) and this material can be made freely accessible.
But since some publishers do figure that they can make money
distributing past content, we still
need something for the next one hundred years. It's a shame that it may
have to be charged for, but it is
better to have the scientific record preserved properly, even at
conventional publersher's costs, than not preserved at all.

> So if you are interested in open-access archiving you are unlikely to
> find much that is useful at this ALPSP archiving workshop (except if the
> technical issues prove to surface more substantially than anticipated
> in the ALPSP notice).

Dr. David Goodman
Princeton University Library
and