Re: Interoperability - subject classification/terminology

From: Subbiah Arunachalam <subbiah_a_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 02:58:07 +0000

Thanks very much Peter, Stevan, Johnson and others who have given your
valuable comments. Let me pose my question in another form:

The new information and communication technologies have tremendous
potential to facilitate communication flow among scientists (researchers)
and between scientists and their 'clients' (in the case of agricultural
research, the clients are the farmers and policymakers). At present,
physicists (especially high energy physicists and astronomers) and
computer scientists are taking considerable advantage of ICTs.
Agricultural scientists are among the poorest users of ICTs. How can
we reach the benefits of ICTs to agricultural researchers? How can
we make the transition from a 'poor use today' to a ' much better use
tomorrow'? If I am able to find the funds, how can I go about actually
making the transition to the better tomorrow? It is one thing to say
that different subjects/ fields have different cultures, but another
to do something about it. I am interested in changing the culture in
agriculture. In my opinion, agriculture is a key area today. There is so
much needless poverty and hunger in the world. Most developing countries
depend on agriculture for their survival. We need to act quickly in
that area.

Regards.

Arun