Re: UK Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) review

From: Tim Brody <tdb01r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:23:34 +0000

Chris Zielinski asks:

> how many articles have been read but not cited?

The folloowing estimates are from Citebase's database
(http://citebase.eprints.org/) -

    (but duly noting caveats on data-quality, scope, coverage, noisiness,
    potential for abuse etc, http://citebase.eprints.org/help/coverage.php
    http://citebase.eprints.org/help/#impactwarning )

Looking at the 91,017 arXiv.org articles that have a "journal reference"
(the author has said where the article was/will be published)

17628 (19.4%) have not been cited but have at least once been downloaded
from uk.arXiv.org

(of the remainder 73265 have both been cited and downloaded, 98 have been
cited but not downloaded, and 26 were neither cited or downloaded)

I believe this is because physicists read all the new additions to the
arXiv.org, as it forms a convenient "inbox" of research. However, over time
downloads are more discerning between low impact and high impact (pink line
is the top quartile of papers by citation impact):
http://citebase.eprints.org/analysis/hitslatencybyquartile.png

Correlation r between "hits" and citation impact for the top quartile is
0.3359 with an n of 25,532.

Citations and downloads are mutually re-inforcing. If an author has read an
article they are more likely to cite it, conversely if an author sees a
citation they are likely to read the article that has been cited.

All the best,
Tim.