Higher rate of citation

From: Jim Till <till_at_UHNRES.UTORONTO.CA>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:48:46 -0500

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Jan Velterop wrote [in part, on the
Subject: Re: UK Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) review]:

>jv> Little wonder that scientists are often not aware of the issues of
>jv> serials crises and open access solutions. If they were, many would
>jv> be likely to take an attitude to publishing their research that is
>jv> similar to their attitude towards scientific problems: experiment
>jv> and 'push the envelope'. The theory and the hypotheses are clear.
>jv> And experimental results are now, slowly but steadily, becoming
>jv> available, such as a generally higher rate of citation for articles
>jv> that are freely accessible to anyone.

Is there an (openly-accessible) summary of the evidence that supports the
hypothesis that openly-accessible research reports generally (i.e. in
several quite different disciplines) attract higher citation rates?

If such a summary exists, I'd like to know about it. It would be helpful
to me in my local OA (and FOS) advocacy efforts.

Jim Till
University of Toronto