Re: Nature's vs. Science's Embargo Policy

From: Jan Velterop <jan_at_BIOMEDCENTRAL.COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:05:41 -0000

I agree with Mike. Nature's new 'licence' is a
'pull-the-wool-over-your-eyes' version of what Elsevier calls the
'give-backs' and is nothing new at all, just a new PR exercise. Clever PR,
to be sure, but certainly nothing like the "[Nature]...again led the
planet's 20,000 peer-reviewed journals in introducing the optimal and
inevitable copyright policy for the online era..." as Stevan would have it.
For a start, the 90 or so peer-reviewed journals published by BioMed Central
have a copyright and licensing policy that can truly be seen as leading:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/info/about/license. No restrictions on
self-archiving and further dissemination whatsoever. That should be the
'gold-standard', not Nature's feeble attempt to look good without delivering
any substance worth mentioning. Congratulating Nature for putting a new
gloss on basically an old stance seems unnecessary sycophancy to me.

Decribing the new Nature licence as a 'gift horse' that shouldn't be looked
in the mouth (in one of Stevan's earlier messages on this topic) is giving
the wrong impression that the scholarly community should really sit back, be
patient, shut up, swim on, wait what's being given to them and then be
grateful for beads and mirrors. They should simply expect more from
publishing, and demand the right to self-determination of what can be done
with their articles. Besides, there would be no point in looking a dead
horse in the mouth anyway, apart from performing an autopsy.

Of course, authors could always re-format their papers and flip into
'subversive mode' again. They could always do that anyway, and Nature's new
formulation of their restrictions doesn't make that any different.

There is a lot to be cheerful and optimistic about with regard to open
access, but Nature's copyright licence ain't amongst it. The question
remains, if Nature really permits self-archiving (which is what Stevan seems
to believe), why don't they make their research papers available in open
access or at least freely available after a short time (say a month or two)?
There's nothing to be lost for them that cannot be compensated by the gains
they could make from such a policy, in my view. Open access advocates should
keep up the pressure instead of relenting when offered a cigar from their
own box.

Jan