Re: Nature's vs. Science's Embargo Policy

From: Michael Eisen <mbeisen_at_LBL.GOV>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 23:12:44 -0800

>sh> Mike, where is this quote from? (Could you simply have gotten a piece
>sh> of incorrect advice from an uninformed person in Nature's Permissions
>sh> Department?)

Its from "Nature in 2003" - an editorial that appeared in the January 2nd
issue of Nature.

The link is:

http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v421/n6918/f
ull/421001a_fs.html

The full text follows:

Nature in 2003

This year sees Nature getting up close and personal with researchers, thanks
to a new series and a territorial expansion. Another important innovation is
a policy that allows authors to retain copyright...

New services to authors will be announced before long, but perhaps the most
significant development on this front is that Nature and all other journals
published by the Nature Publishing Group (NPG) have introduced a new policy
in relation to copyright. No longer do we require authors of papers to sign
away their copyright. Instead, we now ask authors to grant NPG the exclusive
licence to publish the paper in all media throughout the world, to translate
it into other languages, and to adapt it or license it to others. (If all
co-authors are US government employees, slightly different arrangements
apply.)

Ownership of copyright remains with the authors. Provided that, when
reproducing their contribution or extracts from it, the authors acknowledge
the original publication in Nature or other NPG journal, they may reproduce
the paper in any printed volume of which they are the authors. Furthermore,
they and any academic institution where they work at the time may reproduce
the paper without payment for the purpose of course teaching.

Authors may also post a copy of their paper on their own website once the
printed edition has been published, provided that they also provide a link
from the contribution to Nature's website. "Their own" refers to any site
devoted to them, whether owned by them or by a not-for-profit employer.
However, it does not mean open archival websites, such as those that host
collections of articles by an institution's researchers, which would amount
to a breach of our licence.

This policy is being applied retrospectively. Hundreds of thousands of
scientists are authors of papers covered by copyright agreements that are
still in force, and we cannot renegotiate every agreement. But we are happy
to extend to all past authors the rights laid out in the new licence
agreements: to re-use the papers in any printed volume of which they are an
author; to post a PDF copy on their own (not-for-profit) website; to copy
(and for their institutions to copy) their papers for use in coursework
teaching; and to re-use figures and tables. For the exact terms and
conditions, please see a copy of the licence agreement at
http://npg.nature.com/authornews.