Re: Potential Metric Abuses (and their Potential Metric Antidotes)

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:03:29 -0500

One can hardly count on every user of ISI etc. having that sophistication.

There is an obvious solution within the system:
ISI should remove these journals from the ones they monitor.

) On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Stevan Harnad wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, [identity removed] wrote:
>
> > In an editorial (citing *all* the articles in the journal to help increase
> > the impact factor), the Editor of the Journal of Allergy and Immunology
> > apparently insists that all accepted articles cite as many as possible (at
> > least 20, I understand) articles from the journal itself in order to
> > increase the impact factor. This strategy has also been adopted by American
> > Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine and for revised
> > manuscripts authors are urged to cite as many relevant articles from the
> > journal in the last two years as possible.
> >
> > Just illustrating the level of 'objectivity' in some of these metrics.
>

> Stevan Harnad

Dr. David Goodman

Princeton University Library
and
Palmer School of Library and Information Science, LIU

dgoodman_at_princeton.edu