Re: nature

From: Jan Velterop <jan_at_biomedcentral.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:09:35 -0000

Stevan,

What I hope is that your approach turns out to be a stroke of genius. I
regret openly challenging it, because what you've done is make it very
difficult for them to retract what seems like allowing open self-archiving
or can at least be interpreted as such, without egg all over their faces. I
think that Phil and Jayne are really in a pickle.

Why I suggest expressing disappointment (or very strong disappointment,
perhaps) rather than bad faith, is that I believe that allowing it in the
first place, by mistake, in a message from a very senior member of staff,
doesn't quite amount to bad faith. Not even their muddled policy does.
Stupidity or naivety or ignorance maybe. But not bad faith.

Again, I hope that they feel that they have painted themselves in such a
corner that the only honourable way out is to unequivocally allow open
self-archiving. Even if they feel that they have to impose an embargo on
self-archiving for a few months (which is what I expect they might do). In
that case you've proved a genius of a psychologist. And let's hope you can
achieve something similar at the STM meeting. I already noticed that your
approach in Paris showed signs of playing the same game with Elsevier.

Success. I shall refrain from publicly expressing my doubt about the
intentions of publishers I know, and let sleeping dogs lie!

Best,

Jan

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/399/399we152.htm

http://www.messagelabs.com