Re: Central vs. Distributed Archives

From: Hugo Fjelsted Alrĝe <Hugo.Alroe_at_agrsci.dk>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:42:25 +0000

Dear Stevan

Just a question of clarification.

I have noticed that you lately recommend exclusively institutional eprint
archives and not (inter)disciplinary archives.

Why is that? What are the reasons for not recommending disciplinary
archives? As you well know, the most successfull archive we have seen
(arxiv.org) is disciplinary, and there are a few others on the way.

If I am to guess, you might be thinking that authors can be pressured to
place their papers in institutional archives by making it a condition in
their employment contracts, or something similar. This pressure can also be
applied in at least some kinds of disciplinary archives (such as
http://orgprints.org), by way of making the condition in the research grant.
And the motivation is straight forward: what the public pays for should be
made publicly available.

One possible benefit of (inter)disciplinary archives is that they can better
support a kind of 'community feeling' (which a journal can also sometimes
offer), and that this community feeling can help improve research
communication.

kind regards
Hugo Alroe

<http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ls/disresearch/romeo/Romeo%20Publisher%2