Re: PostGutenberg Copyrights and Wrongs for Give-Away Research

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:09:01 +0000

I agree with Elizabeth that it is clearly beneficial for authors to retain
copyright, and I'm not sure why we are not actively formulating a strategy
to help and encourage more authors to do this.

Stevan may be right that in many cases for authors to reserve a
self-archiving right, rather than copyright, is sufficient, but not in
every case. One example is where you might want to reuse data in more than
one paper. I'm not suggesting slicing-and-dicing, where essentially the
same paper is regurgitated more than once, which is deprecated but widely
practiced. But there are cases where research results could be usefully be
presented to different audiences, where these audiences are understood and
the work is carefully targetted.

This approach, I think, is more rather than less likely in a digital
environment, as we can see more uses for original data, and to suggest
otherwise is an example of what Stevan calls papyrocentric thinking.

In fact, we have a paper ready for publication that might appeal to more
than one audience. Different co-authors (including Stevan) have different
views on the preferred audience. We have good data which might serve more
than one purpose. For this reason I am loathe to sign away copyright to
first publication. Among the journals we have considered for peer review,
the more prominent demand copyright, with vague or no concessions on
self-archiving rights. We have yet to decide on a suitable course of action.

Perhaps we should not expect the best journals to accept less than full
copyright transfer. I don't agree. Good journals are not good because the
hold exclusive rights, but because they provide the best service for their
authors and readers.

Steve