Re: Cliff Lynch on Institutional Archives

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:17:40 +0000

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Margaret H. Freeman wrote:

> I'd like to ask Stevan Harnad what arrangements can be made for publishing
> faculty and independent scholars who don't have the kind of institutional
> connections like a major research university for making their work OAI
> accessible without having to create personal websites. Is there some
> distributed depository that is or could be made available to them?

(1) Self-archiving of refereed, published research is not the same
as self-publishing.
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Tp/resolution.htm#1.4

(2) Unaffiliated faculty can publish as they always did, but they can
self-archive their preprints and postprints either in central archives
such as http://cogprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/ or (as is often the case
in the relations between universities and unaffiliated scholars), they
can be allowed to self-archive in a university's eprint archive.

(3) Or perhaps your question referred to the hypothetical future,
if/when all toll-access journals become open-access journals, charging
authors' insitutions for the peer-review service? My guess would be that
unaffiliated authors are rare enough so a slush fund can cover their
costs for them out of a tiny portion of the costs paid by the institutions
of affiliated authors. (I don't believe this is a significant issue -- and
it is in any case hypothetical, as most journals are not yet open-access.)
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/399/399we152.htm

Stevan Harnad