Re: Full-text search capability for Eprint Archives

From: Leslie Chan <chan_at_UTSC.UTORONTO.CA>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:16:35 -0400

on 6/15/03 7:33 PM, Stevan Harnad at harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Tamas Dombos wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried truly integrating full text search into the eprints
>> software? By integration I mean a common search interface, with both
>> metadata AND full text search at once. (All the full text search I found
>> was two separate searches and of course the results list didn't use the
>> metadata, but some excerpt from the text.)
>>
>> One (apparently) easy way to do this would be to use an already existing
>> search engine (like ht://dig), and pass the results (eprint ID is in the
>> URL of the documents) to the eprints software, and combine the id search
>> with the metadata search from the original search form. I know that some
>> information would be lost (relevence ordering of the full text search,
>> for example) but this seems to be a good start. Now this works in theory,
>> but I have no idea how difficult it is to implement this.
>> http://www.htdig.org/ Any suggestions?
>
> Full-text search capability for Eprint Archives is an excellent
> idea, and I am sure it will become an essential feature.
>
> Htdig is already implemented by at least one Eprints.org site:
> http://archivesic.ccsd.cnrs.fr/search.html
> but it is certainly *highly* desirable to have inverted full-text
> for all Eprint Archives.
>
> It needs some thought whether it makes more sense to invert full-text
> at each local archive, or at a harvester level (google-like).
>
> Chris?
>
> Stevan Harnad
>
> PS Here are some prior discussions of inverted full text
> in the Amsci Forum:
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?T24532FE4
> and OAI-General:
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?N26521FE4

For an example of an Eprint archive with full-text search capability, see
the server at the Indian Institute of Science:

         http://eprints.iisc.ernet.in/

Dr. T.B. Rajashekar of the National Centre for Science in India integrated
the Green Stone Digital Library software with the Eprints software to enable
this feature. Try it out.

Leslie Chan