Re: Public Access to Science Act (Sabo Bill, H.R. 2613)

From: Samuel Trosow <strosow_at_uwo.ca>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:14:52 +0100

The US Federal government actually does quite a bit to disseminate
government works. There's the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP),
GPO Access, and FirstGov.

see:
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/ (homepage for GPO Access)
http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/fdlp/about.html
http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/fdlp/fdlp_fs.pdf
http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/fdlp/pubs/title44/chap19.html (setting
out the text of Chapter 19 of Title 44 United States Code, the laws
governing the FDLP)
http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/fdlp/pubs/title44/chap41.html
(setting out the text of Chapter 41 of Title 44 United States Code, the
enabling legislation for GPO Access and the locator services)
and
http://www.firstgov.gov/
(official U.S. gateway to government information)

The distribution system certainly could be much better and indeed more
inclusive. For example, under current law, the US Federal Government
retains a reserved interest in the copyright to all works resulting from
federal funding. Unfortunately, this reserved right is routinely
ignored by publishers when they request and receive exclusive rights or
full copyright assignments in the work, and the government does not
include these works in its distribution systems (something it apparently
has the right to do under current OMB Circulars and Federal Regulations)
This shortcoming is one of the main reason why further Congressional
action is really needed.

In addition to routinely ignoring the reserved interest retained by the
US government, some publishers are actually so bold as to claim
copyright on works that are clearly marked as public domain materials.
(see for example, the June 2003 edition of journal Mitochondrion 2(6):
387-400, published by Elsevier. The paper clearly states that since the
10 co-authors are all public employees, the work is not subject to
copyright. Nonetheless, the Copyright notice appears at the top of the
article.)

Samuel Trosow
University of Western Ontario