Re: Petitions, Boycotts, and Liberating the Refereed Literature Online

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:30:14 +0000

A boycott alone is insufficient. Michel Prevet's posting about the UCSC
proposed boycott of Elsevier included in its PS *exactly* what is needed
to supplement any institutional boycott:

>mp> PS. My most recent preprints and postprints can be downloaded from
>mp> http://hal.ccsd.cnrs.fr/ (domain "earth sciences/geophysics")
>mp> For information about Open Access self-archiving and publishing see
>mp> http://www.isteem.univ-montp2.fr/ISTEEM/BIBLIOTHEQUE/indexpreprint.html

Boycotts are for lowering journal tolls, and that is a welcome goal,
worth fighting for. But what researchers need now is not just lower-toll
access but open access. It would accordingly be far more sensible --
and far more effective -- to supplement any institutional efforts to
lower journal costs with an explicit, systematic policy of making all
institutional refereed research output open-access by self-archiving it:

http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/#institution-facilitate-filling
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/che.htm

>uc> the University of California is one of Elsevier's largest customers.
>uc> UC Faculty members are important players in Elsevier's
>uc> journals. 10-15% of the content is written by UC faculty,
>uc> 1000 faculty are on the boards of Elsevier journals, and
>uc> about 150 faculty are senior editors for those journals.

That's fine for 15% of UC's research output. And since Elsevier is a
Romeo "blue" (and probably also "green") publisher

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ls/disresearch/romeo/Romeo%20Publisher%20Policies.htm

all of that UC Elsevier content can be immediately self-archived without
further ado. But what about the remaining 85% of UC research output?
And what about UC access to the remaining 85% of Elsevier content?
UC self-archiving would take care of all the UC research output, and
other institutions doing the very same thing would take care of all the
rest. (In fact, they don't even need to boycott Elsevier: they need only
self-archive!)

>uc> Alternative forms of scholarly communication need to be
>uc> considered. The California Digital Library (CDL) has been
>uc> pioneering new forms of publication including the
>uc> eScholarship Repository. Through the CDL, the University of
>uc> California also provides tangible support for new scholarly
>uc> publishing initiatives that promise high-quality
>uc> peer-reviewed content at affordable prices, including the
>uc> Public Library of Science and BioMEd Central.

There are 500 alternative (open-access) journals. Is open access to
the contents of the remaining 23,500 more likely to occur by waiting
to replace them one by one, or by a collective policy of institutional
self-archiving?

>uc> Faculty action to retain intellectual property rights would
>uc> also contribute to meeting the challenge. Authors can
>uc> negotiate to retain certain rights, including the right to
>uc> post their work in an institutional repository

Fifty-five percent of the the 7000+ journals samples by the Romeo
self-archiving rights project already support self-archiving (including
all 1500+ Elsevier journals). Many more will do so if asked. A systematic
institutional and research-funder policy of mandating open access for all
institutional research output along the lines of the Berlin Declaration
will help convert the Romeo "white" journals to "green" far more quickly
and effectively than just a boycott will!

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/berlin.htm

>uc> Therefore, the UCSC Academic Senate resolves to call upon its
>uc> tenured members to give serious and careful consideration to
>uc> cutting their ties with Elsevier: no longer submitting papers
>uc> to Elsevier journals, refusing to referee the submissions of
>uc> others, and relinquishing editorial posts should the
>uc> UC/Elsevier negotiations prove unsuccessful.

I hope the UCSC Senate will give equally serious and careful
consideration both to its 85% non-Elsevier research output and to
the Elsevier and non-Elsevier output from other institutions, by
supplementing its institutional boycott policy with an institutional
self-archiving policy. Sometimes the carrot works better than the
stick:

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/archpolnew.html

>uc> The Senate also calls upon its Committee on Academic
>uc> Personnel to recognize that some faculty may choose not to
>uc> submit papers to Elsevier journals even when those journals
>uc> are highly ranked. Faculty choosing to follow the advice of
>uc> this resolution should not be penalized.

Self-archiving their papers no matter where they are submitted will only
help increase the impact and personnel-assessment value of their
papers.

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/self-archiving.htm

Here are some background readings on the boycott strategy:

"Why price boycott is the wrong strategy" (2000)
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0532.html

"Petitions, Boycotts, and Liberating the Refereed Literature Online" (2000)
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0933.html

"Science Article (Roberts et al.) and Science Editorial"
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/1236.html

"A Keystroke Koan For Our Open Access Times" (2003)
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3061.html

"Call for Boycott of Cell Press Journals" (2003)
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3088.html

Stevan Harnad

NOTE: Complete archive of the ongoing discussion of providing open
the American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00 & 01 & 02 & 03):
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html
    Posted discussion to: american-scientist-open-access-forum_at_amsci.org

Dual Open-Access Strategy:
    BOAI-2: Publish your article in a suitable open-access journal
            whenever one exists.
    BOAI-1: Otherwise, publish your article in a suitable toll-access
            journal and also self-archive it.
    http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php