Re: Central vs. Distributed Archives

From: Eberhard R. Hilf <hilf_at_physnet.physik.uni-oldenburg.de>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 15:53:21 +0000

I agree with Stevan: ArXiv just needs a note clarifying that it is only
a time stamp and archiving machine, and takes no legal responsibility
for its content because it does not 'read the content' (as referees
do). It acts as a gateway provider. So the risk stays with the author.

Within-arxiv plagiarism can easily be checked within the
arxiv. Plagiarized papers will have a later time stamp, and thus the
original author can be spotted and the later one(s) blamed.

In contrast, scientific journals, serving to 'read and referee and check
the content of the paper' and gaining the ownership are responsible in
case the paper turns out to be plagiarized.

So, journal publishers run a real legal risk, in that they do not check
for plagiarism, - and they have to check this across all journals of all
publishers, since they claimed it's new.

The Schoen case and many others confirm: plagiarism in the e-age is a
real and formidable because it is so easy to-do. Plagiarism only seemed
to be rare, because it was not checked by the journals.

An still wider spread abuse is self-plagiarism, copy-and-pasting from
one's own older papers. Easy, 'legal', but a piece of misconduct by the
author from the standpoint of the reader.

http://www.iupap.org lists the recent London conference on plagiarism,
misconduct of authors, referees, journal editors.

Ebs

Eberhard R. Hilf, Dr. Prof.;
CEO (Geschaeftsfuehrer)
Institute for Science Networking Oldenburg GmbH
an der Carl von Ossietzky Universitaet
Ammerlaender Heerstr.121; D-26129 Oldenburg
ISN-home: http://www.isn-oldenburg.de/
homepage: http://isn-oldenburg.de/~hilf
email : hilf_at_isn-oldenburg.de
tel : +49-441-798-2884