Moderated Forum Subject Threads

From: Alexei Koudinov <sparcoaforum_at_neurobiologyoflipids.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:31:04 +0000

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you for your appreciation that earlier today I attempted to provide
my argument to discuss Dr. Stevan Harnad "Draft letter for institutions
to sign to implement Berlin declaration" dated 25 December 2003.

I did not intend to "going on and on about BiomedCentral" as Dr. Harnad
justified (see below).

I think that what might cause such thinking is a moderation-born erratic
"Prior Amsci Thread" stamp: "Re: BioMed Central and new publishing
models".

Please be sure that what I discuss in both letters is the statement in
Item 8 of Dr. Harnad draft letter that "New "open-access" journals can
recover their costs by charging the author-institution for each outgoing
article they publish". I argue that "Open access" does not necessarily
mean "charging the author or institution", and explain why.

Not moderated [by Amsci] version of both letters are available at ARL SOAF archive:
1st letter: <https://arl.org/Lists/SPARC-OAForum/Message/380.html>
2nd letter: <https://arl.org/Lists/SPARC-OAForum/Message/383.html>
(2nd letter is a response on
<https://arl.org/Lists/SPARC-OAForum/Message/382.html> Dr.Harnad reply
on my 1st letter)

Sincerely,

Alexei Koudinov, MD, PhD

Competing interest declaration: I do not have any competing financial
interest. I am a founding, managing and publishing editor of the
<http://neurobiologyoflipids.org/>Neurobiology of Lipids, an unpaid
position. Neurobiology of Lipids (ISSN 1683-5506) has no affiliation
with any professional association, publisher, industry member, commercial
enterprise, public, educational or government organization. The viewpoint
presented in the cited above letters is my personal view.