What is the threshold for open access Nirvana?

From: Garfield, Eugene <Garfield_at_CODEX.CIS.UPENN.EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:11:24 -0500

I have generally avoided discussion in this listserv but I think you have
introduced a significant distortion to the discussion by quoting the figure
of 24,000 scientific journals which allegedly produce 2,500,000 articles per
year. I presume someone has estimated the average of 100 articles per year.
A more realistic figure for journals would be ten to fifteen thousand
scientific journals putting aside the crucial question of definition.

If open access is to become viable it seems to me the key factor is the
group of 500 to 1000 highest impact journals which account for a substantial
portion of the significant articles which are published and most cited.
Unless these journals make it possible for authors to self-archive or to be
freely accessible you cannot achieve open access nirvana. One might argue
that once e.g. 50% or more of these most important journals are in the fold
the breakthrough threshold has been reached.

Since it has been demonstrated that on line access improves both readership
and citation impact we can certainly expect that the vast majority of the
low impact journals would be well advised to make their journals open
access. Whether this increases their impact remains to be seen, but
increased readership or attention seems inevitable.
Eugene Garfield, PhD. email: garfield_at_codex.cis.upenn.edu
home page: www.eugenegarfield.org
Tel: 215-243-2205 Fax 215-387-1266
President, The Scientist LLC. www.the-scientist.com
3535 Market St., Phila. PA 19104-3389
Chairman Emeritus, ISI www.isinet.com
3501 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-3302
Past President, American Society for Information Science and Technology
(ASIS&T) www.asis.org