Re: Directory of Open Access Journals

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:04:45 +0000

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Kjellberg Sara wrote:

> Yes, agreed. We were not even thinking about the print version in that
> way. All OA journals we know of who run a parallel print version charge
> for that. How about this addition to our criteria?
>
> 2.1 Cost: Journals that use a funding model that charges users or
> their institutions for the online version are not included. If there
> is an additional print version it may or may not be charged for.

Still not quite right, I think! There is nothing wrong with a publisher
charging for access to its online edition either -- as long as it is
also OA!

(Not much point in their doing that, but no sense in forbidding it if
it doesn't matter! Nothing at all is gained by our being even one
millimetre more restrictive at this stage than necessary -- especially
at a time when we are trying to get more publishers on board!)

I suggest:

   2.1 Cost: Journals that use a funding model that charges any users or
   their institutions for the online version are not included unless the
   online version is also accessible to all users toll-free (full-text,
   immediately, permanently, downloadable from the web by anyone, any
   time). Charging for a parallel print edition is acceptable.

access to the peer-reviewed research literature online (1998-2004)
is available at the American Scientist Open Access Forum:
        To join the Forum:
        Post discussion to:
        Hypermail Archive:
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html

Unified Dual Open-Access-Provision Policy:
            journal whenever one exists.
            http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/boaifaq.htm#journals
            http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/
    http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php