Re: OAI compliant personal pages

From: Jim Till <till_at_UHNRES.UTORONTO.CA>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:20:12 -0500

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Peter Suber wrote:

>[ps]> Don't forget about Kepler,
<[ps]> <>,
>[ps]> software for creating an "archivelet" or an
>[ps]> OAI-compliant archive for the research output of a
>[ps]> single person. Kepler runs on Windows 2000/XP,
>[rs]> Linux, Solaris, and Mac OS X.

Peter, I've summarized my experience with the initial
version of a Kepler archivelet in a previous message posted
to the AmSci Forum [on the Subject: Re: Free Access vs.
Open Access, archived at the /~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/ site
on Fri Jan 09 2004]:

The stability of the server that supported the cached
version of my archivelet became an issue.

In that same message, I also asked for advice about
self-archiving a current eprint of mine (it's *not* about
electronic publishing, it's an invited commentary about
cancer-related electronic support groups). This eprint is
currently in preprint form. It's been peer-reviewed and
edited, and will be published soon in a TA journal (Journal
of Cancer Integrative Medicine 2004, vol. 2, no. 1).

I've signed a publication agreement with this journal (after
some negotiation) which permits me to retain copyright, and
to self-archive the peer-reviewed and edited version. This
"final" version (with some minor modifications, such as the
addition of a statement about copyright at the end of the
preprint) has already been self-archived, at least
temporarily, at a non-OAI-compliant site hosted by See: "Cancer-related electronic support groups
as navigation-aids: Overcoming geographic barriers":

The preprint hasn't, so far, been cached by Google, nor by
the Internet Archive/Wayback Machine at: (but, I self-archived it only about
a week ago, on Feb. 7, 2004).

As I mentioned in an earlier message posted to this forum
[on the Subject: Re: Kepler: Author-Based Archivelets,
archived on Fri Jun 29 2001, at:
], my main difficulty with the initial Kepler archivelets
was my lack of familiarity with proper use of the "Dublin
Core" of metadata, and especially, uncertainty about
appropriate use of such metadata for an OAI-compliant

I've tried to add some Dublin Core metadata to the preprint
that I've self-archived at the site (see above).
Of course, I'd prefer to self-archive the final version
(together with a complete citation to the published version)
in a well-established, OAI-compliant, stable archive. As
mentioned in my previous message,
], CogPrints is a possibility, even though the content of my
eprint isn't well-suited to CogPrints.

My experimentation with self-archiving will continue.

Jim Till
University of Toronto
Received on Sun Feb 15 2004 - 14:20:12 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Dec 10 2010 - 19:47:21 GMT