Re: PALS report and conference on Institutional Repositories

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:00:08 +0000

Mark Ware's report on institutional repositories is a balanced, thorough
and welcome review that has some features not found in other reports of
this sort.

See full record in Perspectives in Electronic Publishing (short review
reproduced below)
http://aims.ecs.soton.ac.uk/pep.nsf/cc4a508424b9c3ff802566dc004e42ff/5c4d447fc4fdeecf80256e46003c0c0e?OpenDocument

This report doesn't have any dramatic new insights on open access, but it
is a pretty thorough review of institutional repositories (IRs).
Surprisingly, given the author's publishing background, and that of the
report's backers, it is remarkably focussed on IRs and, section 9 apart
(notwithstanding its brief mention PeP), the report doesn't grind any
publishing axes.

There is an emphasis on repositories built with DSpace because the report
largely adopts the DSpace/Cliff Lynch philosophy on IRs, that is, they are
for storing all the outputs of an institution, not just copies of refereed
journal papers, or eprints. So it doesn't have the benefit of the more
focussed Harnad analysis of institutional eprint archives to cut through
most of the issues it raises.

Section 8 is a quantitative analysis of repositories, largely based on data
and charts from work at Southampton by Tim Brody and based on Eprints.org
data. This is a welcome (if inadequately referenced) and unusual feature to
date in reviews such as this.

It's disappointing to see section 8.2 open by stating that background
research had "produced a list of some 45 IRs", since the Metalist of Open
Access Eprint Archives would have revealed more than this (although for
some reason Eprints archives are omitted here).

The conclusions seem rather positive for IRs: "The case for the benefits to
a research organisation of an institutional repository providing a set of
infrastructural digital services including uploading/hosting, organising
(metadata), disseminating and long-term preservation seems compelling. ...
What is far less clear is whether IRs will develop large, interoperable
collections of published literature, as hope the advocates of open access."

For those new to the open access phenomenon, and who may be puzzled by the
lack of coverage of IRs in the currently publishing-dominated open access
agenda in some forums and news services - there are of necessity two
complementary paths to open access: journal publication and author
self-archiving in repositories - this report is worthwhile indeed.

Steve Hitchcock
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3256 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865