Re: The Economics of Open Access Journal Publishing

From: Sally Morris (ALPSP) <"Sally>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:35:59 +0000

Fytton Rowland:
> > Indian OA journals have been mentioned here before.
> > Where does the external funding come from?

Vinod Scaria:
> Funding comes from the supporting organisation/institution. This is a
> not-for profit endeavour and what we aim is better visibility/impact to
> papers from respective institutions without placing the burden on the
> authors (Most of the authors do not have external funding).

David Goodman:
> > In fact, payment for the production of journals is I think one very
> > desirable option, especially in those places where the funding for
> > the scientific research is also centralized. Essentially, when in
> > the US the NSF funds scientific research, it should be implicitedly
> > funding the distribution of the results.

Vinod Scaria:
> This *should* be the publishing option where Research funding is meagre,
> most research publications are not funded by an external source. The
> majority of our authors are not funded. These Journals are not-for profit
> ones and funded by not-for profit organisations/Institutions.

I suspect this is true of the majority of journals in the Lund list, in that
the costs of staff time, computer capacity and other overheads are
ignored/absorbed by the home institution.

Is it, however, an approach which is scaleable for the literature as a
whole?

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK

Phone: +44 (0)1903 871686 Fax: +44 (0)1903 871457
E-mail: chief-exec_at_alpsp.org
ALPSP Website http://www.alpsp.org

Scholarship-Friendly Publishing - 20th International Learned Journals
Seminar, 26th March - see http://www.alpsp.org/events/s260304.htm