Re: The Green and Gold Roads to Open Access

From: Waaijers, Leo <Waaijers_at_surf.nl>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:07:48 +0100

It's only now that I found some time to react.

Stevan's statement below makes his position clear, at least to me. Stevan is
like the son who tells his friends that cars are practically for free. The
only thing that you have to do is beg your father to buy you one.
Rightly so!

The point is I am the father.

Leo Waaijers

      [Reply from Stevan Harnad: I am not telling my friends
      (fellow-researchers) to ask their fathers (institutional librarians)
      to buy them a car (journal). I am suggesting they walk! It costs
      nothing to self-archive one's own (published) journal-articles,
      and it has nothing *whatsoever* to do with one's institution's
      journal expenditures. Please don't confuse it with telling my
      friends to publish in OA ("gold") journals, which *do* cost their
      fathers some money!]