Re: New policy of combining one-on-one postings

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:14:02 +0100

         Subject Thread (Mar 27 2004):
        "New policy of combining one-on-one postings"
         http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3672.html

My apologies for not having been conscientious enough in applying this new
digest policy. Let me now promise that I will rigorously re-double efforts
to gather all minor postings into single weekly or biweekly composite
postings. This will require some judgment calls (which will no doubt
elicit postings criticizing them!) but this Forum has been ongoing for
7 years and it is important that our focus graduate now to matters of
substance, policy and action. We have important policy-makers in the Forum
of late, and I ask contributors to post with this new demography and
direction in mind.

The American Scientist Open Access Forum is the oldest and most active of
the Open Access (OA) lists. It is the locus where most of the topics being
widely discussed today first arose -- as attested to by the long-standing
subject-threads attached to them.

        http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/subject.html

I would like to propose that henceforth OA-to-OA postings that are not
likely to be of interest to policy-makers at universities, research
institutions, and research-funding agencies might better be directed to
one of the other OA lists, such as:

        (1) The Budapest Open Access Forum
            http://www.soros.org/openaccess/forum.shtml

        (2) The SPARC Open Access Forum
            http://www.arl.org/sparc/soa/#forum

Let us try to reserve the American Scientist Open Access Forum for
substantive policy-relevant matters with a view to hastening and
facilitating OA worldwide.

Stevan Harnad