Re: May 12 CERN meeting on implementing the Berlin Declaration

From: <hbosc_at_tours.inra.fr>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 14:51:28 +0100

Below are my reactions upon reading the Schoegl/Velden Roadmap
for implementing the Berlin Declaration.
http://www.zim.mpg.de/openaccess-cern/presentation-oa2berlin-roadmap-proposal.p
df

Where has the enthusiasm awakened in 14/02/02 by the the Budapest Open
Access Initiative gone?
http://www.soros.org/openaccess/

Where now is the pioneer spirit that was spread by the researchers who
met in Budapest in that December of 2001?

Where are the dual OA strategies (BOAI-1 and BOAI-2)? Why has the
self-archiving strategy disappeared ?

On Roadmaps you have several kinds of roads to reach your destination:
Why is the Berlin-2 Roadmap contemplating only the winding slopes of
BOAI-2? Why is it headed solely toward the endless tunnel of legal issues?

BOAI-1 (self-archiving) is the more direct way to OA and has not been
forgotten.

The Berlin-2 Roadmap does not read as if written by researchers for
researchers and for research. It looks like Open Access, but it is not
Open Access.

Is there any researcher ready to trace a direct Roadmap to Open Access in
Berlin-3?

Helene Bosc

A 22:26 24/05/04 +0100, Stevan Harnad a écrit :

> CRITIQUE OF SCHLOEGL/VELDEN ROADMAP
> FOR IMPLEMENTING THE BERLIN DECLARATION
>
> Stevan Harnad
>
>This is a critique (I hope a constructive one) of Robert Schloegl's and
>Theresa Velden's (S/V's) Proposed Roadmap for implementing the Berlin
>Declaration.
>
>http://www.zim.mpg.de/openaccess-cern/berlindeclaration.html
>http://www.zim.mpg.de/openaccess-cern/program_prelim.html#roadmap
>http://www.zim.mpg.de/openaccess-cern/presentation-oa2berlin-roadmap-proposal.pdf
>
>The problems with the S/V Roadmap are, I think, substantial, but readily
>remediable:
>
>(1) The (library's) problem of journal-affordability is, as so often
>happens, treated as if it were the same thing as the (researcher's)
>problem of accessibility and impact. It is not, and OA is meant to
>be the direct remedy to the researcher's access/impact problem and
>only indirectly and eventually a possible solution to the library's
>journal-affordability problem. Trying to treat OA as a direct solution
>to the affordability problem only produces a confusing mixed-agenda with
>little likelihood of any solution and hence no clear rationale for
>implementation.
>
>(2) Open Access itself is, for much the same reason, treated
>as if were the same thing as Open Access Journal Publishing. It is not.
>Open Access Journal Publishing is merely one of the two roads to Open
>Access -- and not the faster, broader, or surer of the two.
>
>(3) As a consequence of (1) and (2), the concrete implementation proposals
>themselves are both vague and unfocussed.
>
>The solution is simple:
>
> (A) A clear and explicit definition of Open Access (OA) (already
> provided by the BOAI as: "immediate, permanent, toll-free, full-text,
> online access to peer-reviewed journal articles")
>
> plus
>
> (B) a clear and explicit commitment to providing OA, by the two means
> available: (B1) publishing articles in OA Journals (wherever possible)
> and (B2) otherwise publishing articles in existing journals but also
> self-archiving them in OA Archives.
>
>That is what needs to be implemented, no more, no less. Instead, the
>Schloegl/Velden (S/V) Roadmap is missing one of the two roads to Open
>Access, B2 (the far wider, faster and surer of the two), and it fails
>to give clear or concrete directions for using either of the roads, B1
>or B2!
>
> > Roadmap Proposal Robert Schloegl Theresa Velden
>
> > Open access is the replacement for the conventional scholarly
> > communication paradigm and not its 2nd class counterpart
>
>There is no paradigm and no replacement! OA is something that an author
>can *provide* for his peer-reviewed journal articles. There are many
>"classes" of peer-reviewed journals: higher quality ones, with high
>standards of peer review, lower quality ones, with lower peer-review
>standards, etc. None of this has anything whatsoever to do with whether
> [...]

Helene Bosc
Bibliothecaire
Unite Physiologie de la Reproduction
et des Comportements
UMR 6175
INRA-CNRS-Universite de Tours-Haras Nationaux
37380 Nouzilly
     France
http://www.tours.inra.fr/
TEL : 02 47 42 78 00