Re: Open Access piece by Walt Crawford

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 03:46:07 +0100

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 Walt_Crawford_at_notes.rlg.org wrote:

> you'd think that if [the access/impact problem] was "the primary
> interest" of the whole research community, there would *be* 100% OA,
> or at least 85% (or whatever the so-called green number is these days).

Fair point. One could also add that if access/impact were the primary
interest of the research community then there would be no need for
the US and UK's recommended self-archiving mandate:
100% of researchers would already be self-archiving of their own accord.
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/UKSTC.htm
http://www.taxpayeraccess.org/congress.html

But human nature being what it is, we don't always know what is
in our best interests, and even when we know, we don't always do it.

That is why we design incentive and reward systems. That is why
we have the "publish-or-perish" mandate: Most scholars know publishing is
in their own best interests (and in those of scholarship itself), but
without the carrot/stick of publish-or-perish many of them still
would not do it.

And regarding Open Access provision, what better authority can I cite
than the one I keep citing: the non-self-archiving authors themselves,
from Swan and Brown's (2004) JISC/OSI survey, in which they asked authors:

    "how they would feel if their employer or funding body required
    them to deposit copies of their published articles in... [OA
    archives]. The vast majority... said they would do so willingly..."

    Swan, A. & Brown, S.N. (2004) JISC/OSI Journal Authors Survey
    Report. http://www.jisc.ac.uk/uploaded_documents/JISCOAreport1.pdf
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3628.html

    Swan, A. & Brown, S.N. (2004) Authors and open access
    publishing. Learned Publishing 2004:17(3) 219-224.
    http://www.ingentaselect.com/rpsv/cw/alpsp/09531513/v17n3/s7/

So if we want authors to act 100% in their own interests, their
employers and funders are going to have to require them to do it!

> 2. Is it plausible to believe a commercial publisher might abandon a
> journal (or go out of business!) and, in the process, cause all archival
> issues to disappear? Look no further than the same essay, where I cite
> George Porter's STLQ commentary on Springer Verlag and Nonlinear Science
> Today. The causes of abandonment may have been different, but the effect
> was the same: The back-issue archives were gone.

The back-issue archives problem -- a continuing risk until the
preservation problem for *all* journals is reliably and permanently
solved -- was with us in paper days and continues to be with us in online
days and has absolutely *nothing* to do with OA self-archiving, which
merely provides a supplementary version, over and above the official
publisher's version: The publisher's and library's proprietary version
is and always has been the one that needed to be preserved.

Yes, publishers sometimes go out of business; that risk has always been
there. Frequently their titles migrate to another publisher. Sometimes
they do not. In paper days all that was left then was the paper edition in
the libraries that had purchased it, plus whatever backlists were still
available. In online days the paper edition is left, plus the online
edition. None of this has anything at all to do with OA or self-archiving.

WC speculated that 100% OA provision through author self-archiving would
cause publishers to go out of business; the obvious counter-speculation is
that if it did, the titles would migrate to OA publishers. What exactly
is WC's point in citing the discontinuation of Nonlinear Science (not
the first discontinued journal, not the last)?

> Is it plausible to believe that some (not all) proprietary publishers will,
> indeed, "squeeze the remaining stones"

WC insists on wanting to speculate, to which the only answer is, of
course, to counter-speculate, if anyone finds this useful:

If 100% OA did cause cancellation pressure (because everyone can access
everything for free) then it is hard to imagine how raising the price
would increase anyone's inclination to keep subscribing! Downsizing,
cost-cutting and price reduction would seem a better way to try to hold
onto a shrinking market.

But to test this hypothesis, we need 100% OA, not pre-emptive guesses.

> until that strategy fails, then fold
> the journals or disappear as publishers? I believe so. That belief is
> precisely as subjective and speculative as Harnad's own string of
> predictions and "optimal and inevitable" futures.

I completely agree that all speculations are equally speculative,
and that we should hence stop speculating and stick with the actual
facts and evidence. The fact is that OA self-archiving is growing (the
optimal/inevitable is getting closer), research impact is growing,
publishers are not going out of business, and OA publishers are
standing by, eager to take over any migrating titles.

The rest is pure speculation, which does not do anyone any good,
and certainly does not bring us more OA.

> Or maybe not: Stevan Harnad himself has said (repeatedly, of course), in
> the late 1990s, that journals (and publishers) would disappear if the
> publishers failed to shift to OA

Yes, I used to speculate too, and regret it. I have learned, though, and
no longer speculate. When will WC learn?

> --but he didn't note that publisher-hosted
> archives typically disappear at the same time as journals and publishers
> do. That's not a necessary outcome (LOCKSS and dark-archive agreements
> could prevent it), but it's a likely one for smaller and less
> well-capitalized publishers.

Publisher-hosted journal archives and their disappearance or
non-disappearance have absolutely *nothing* to do with OA (or
self-archiving, or Institutional OA Archives! See above.

> In arguing for some mediated orderly transition, Harnad himself projected
> that, without such a planned orderly transition, "mounting de facto free
> use will simply subvert the present system with no escape route in place to
> a new stable system, and a possibly chaotic inter-regnum, to the detriment
> of us all."

    "Re: Nature 10 September on Public Archiving" (1998)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0104.html

    "The Urgent Need to Plan a Stable Transition" (1998)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0076.html

I plead guilty to having made that free-floating, arbitrary speculation
at an earlier and more naive time, and regret it. I have learned, though,
and no longer speculate. When will WC learn?

I do feel somewhat heartened though -- and I am saying this seriously
now, not sarcastically -- that someone has actually read something I have
written, and carefully enough to quote it against me when the time came! I
had become convinced -- by the endless resurgence of the same old
arguments, year after year after year, without even a hint of awareness
of the fact that they had ever been answered -- that no one was reading
or paying any attention to anything I said or wrote on this subject. WC
has paid some attention here, and that's not nothing (even if he has not
yet learned!).

> Apparently Harnad now finds that possibility so unlikely as to be
> offensively subjective speculation. Times do change.

They do, and with the changing times come new events and evidence, and
sometimes even new ideas, to which we should be ready to hew, instead
of cleaving dogmatically to what we believed and said before. My prior
speculations (not my practical propopsals) were gratuitous; worse,
they were unnecessary and counterproductive. Since then my motto is
"Hypotheses non fingo."

I have done a 10th-anniversary analytical critique of what of my original
1994 "Subversive Proposal" has since proved right and what proved wrong.
(It's a healthy exercise. I recommend it to everyone.)

    "June 27 2004: The 1994 'Subversive Proposal' at 10"
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3809.html

> I'm delighted to see that Harnad now agrees that it's ludicrous to assert
> that libraries won't/can't cancel expensive journals as long as they still
> carry some important articles. In fact, libraries (including some of the
> supposedly wealthiest) are doing precisely that--and have been for years.
> They have no choice.

I am saying nothing of the sort, one way or the other! I am simply
abstaining from any further groundless and needless speculation!
Hypotheses non fingo. And I recommend the practise. It is much better
to provide OA than to provide conjectures. (I still say 100% OA is
optimal and inevitable, of course, but I never answer when asked to
predict when it will become actual!)

> [And could we let up on the certain 2.5 million journal articles per year?
> Other sources say 1.2 million. I will assert that the true number is as
> unknowable as the future landscape of scholarly communications.]

Call it N then. Absolutely *nothing* hangs on the exact number, one way
or the other. We need 100% of it to be OA, and it isn't, yet.

(And if the future landscape of scholarly communications is unknowable,
why speculate about it? We know OA through self-archiving is beneficial,
desirable, and feasible, because it is being done -- hence it's feasible --
and it enhances access and impact -- which is beneficial, hence desirable.
No hypotheses there: just objective data.)

> I devoted a column in the largest-circulation library periodical
> in the world [to the posting on which Harnad commented]... I have no
> way of knowing how many other lists Harnad's response was sent to,
> although I'm aware of at least two. Those who wish to are certainly
> welcome to forward this reply.

Not having direct access to WC's largest-circulation library periodical
in the world, I cross-posted to some of the lists to which I do have
access. Those who wish to are certainly welcome to forward this reply too.

Stevan Harnad

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/399/399we152.htm