Re: Central versus institutional self-archiving

From: David Goodman <David.Goodman_at_liu.edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 17:21:19 +0100

Steven,

Doesn't it depend on the institution: it particular upon the
institution's reliability, its commitment to self-archiving and OA in
general, and its general orientation towards digital access and
preservation?

I will certainly agree with you that every academic and research
institution should have such responsibility and commitment; I also agree
that if an institution does have it, then it is a satisfactory place for
use self-archiving. However desirable, however urgent, this is not now
the case.

In my academic career, I have been formally associated with six
institutions. One of the six properly understands of the issues, and
should always have the relatively small funds to support it. A second
certainly has money, but its commitment to archival preservation of any
sort of faculty record, including digital, has been remarkably
irresponsible; a third has the understanding, but the nature of its
funding over the last few decades has been so problematic that nobody
could or does trust it for anything of a permanent nature; a fourth has
repeatedly demonstrated lack of understanding as well as lack of
financial support, and the other 2 are variable in these respects.

I may have been unfortunate in my sample, and so I do not name the
institutions. The proper approach is to upgrade the institutions; I
suggest that an appropriate technique is for funding agencies to require
that a university has such a capacity, not just for post-print
self-archiving, but for all the other important uses of an institutional
repository. However strong your argument for action is, it would be
reliance upon speculation to count on it as a short term development.

For people at such institutions, such as myself, the policy of some
otherwise "green" publishers leaves only personal home pages. In the
unreliable institutions, their commitment to the maintainance and
accessibility of these pages is similarly irresponsible. I am not aware
of any that has a formal commitment to maintain such pages, or even
provide for referral of their ip addresses, when a faculty member
leaves; I am not aware of any that has a policy to maintain them when a
faculty member retires or dies. (If there are enlightened exceptions, I
would be glad to know it.) Unfortunately, none of the above is
speculation--I know of instances of them all. To foresee one's eventual
decease is not speculative.

For independent scholars, for whom OA is a real boon as users, there is
no alternative at all for them as authors but personal pages maintained
upon personal or commercial servers--the extreme of instability.

While your arguments are correct for what should be the case, in the
real world the institutional basis for them is lacking, at least in the
US. (In the UK, the current proposal properly provides for the use of
the British Library as an archive for instances not covered by an
institutional archive; although I do not know the details, they may
prove sufficient.) Any reliance upon institutional archives in the US
would also need such a facility.

A similar argument could be constructed for the use of institutional
archives as a back up for centralized facilities; the NIH has proven of
superb responsibility over several decades, but it too is subject to
politics.

What do I mean by permanent? the lifetime of papers in a self-archive
must extend at least for the period of copyright, which is what permits
toll access--life plus 75 years. After this period the maintenance of
accessibility is the same problem of OA and for toll-access.

Yours,

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor,
Long Island University, Brookville, NY