Re: Self-Archiving vs. Self-Publishing FAQ

From: Heather Morrison <heatherm_at_ELN.BC.CA>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:05:10 -0800

Like many words in the english language, "publishing" likely has many
meanings. In a business sense, newspapers, paperback novels, and
scholarly journals are all publications.

The Open Access debate, however, is focused on the scholarly,
peer-reviewed journal article. It is reasonable to assume that
"publishing" in this context refers to scholarly publishing, with the
quality control mechanisms of peer review, editing, and journal
reputation.

Given the context, there does not seem to be much point to discussing
the semantics. Let's just assume that "publishing" in this Forum,
refers to scholarly, peer-reviewed journal article publishing. Unless
someone would like to talk about open access to other kinds of
materials, in which case this should be specified as the exception.

hope this helps,

Heather Morrison

On 12-Nov-04, at 4:25 PM, Stevan Harnad wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, R. Stephen Berry wrote:
>
>> The American Chemical Society refuse to publish papers that have been
>> put onto open sites such as ArXiV.
>
> That's called the "Ingelfinger Rule" -- fast-fading now, and has
> nothing
> to do with publication. (It always just some journals' arbitrary
> submission
> policy.)
>
> http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/#publisher-forbids
>
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Rick Anderson wrote:
>
>> the OA establishment has adopted a definition of the word "publish"
>> that is
>> both absurdly narrow and professionally egocentric... "to place an
>> article
>> in a peer-reviewed scientific journal." [The] word has a much broader,
>> more generally accepted, and really more accurate definition: "to
>> make an
>> article publicly available"... "Publishing" [describes] what happens
>> when
>> an author makes his work freely available to the public through an OA
>> archive...
>
> (1) I guess that would mean that self-archiving one's already published
> journal article is "publishing a published article."
>
> (2) Try listing unpublished papers as "published articles" on your CV
> on the strength of having posted them on the Web (and let us know how
> that's received)...
>
> Stevan Harnad
>
> "Garfield: 'Acknowledged Self-Archiving is Not Prior Publication'"
> (2002)
> http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/2239.html
>
> Harnad, Stevan (2000) Ingelfinger Over-Ruled: The Role
> of the Web in the Future of Refereed Medical Journal
> Publishing. Lancet Perspectives 256 (December Supplement): s16.
> http://cogprints.soton.ac.uk/documents/disk0/00/00/17/03/index.html

Heather G. Morrison
Project Coordinator
BC Electronic Library Network