Re: How to compare research impact of toll- vs. open-access research

From: Rick Anderson <rickand_at_unr.edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:16:54 +0000

Stevan, I don't disagree with your points about post-publication
self-archiving and OA publishing. What I was disagreeing with was the
argument to which I was actually responding -- your assertion that
"authors want to maximize users... and don't want any users lost because
they cannot afford to pay for access." Instead of defending that
dubious assertion, you've changed the subject.

The fact is, scholarly authors don't necessarily mind losing users if by
doing so they can gain prestige. Again, this is something for OA
providers to keep in mind. No, it's not so much an issue for authors
when they have the option of publishing in a non-OA forum and then
self-archiving later. But as I said before, it's a big issue for OA
publishers. Since you keep saying that this list is a place for the
discussion of practical issues related to the promotion and
implementation of OA, it seems to me that points like this are worth
bringing up here.

----
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition