Re: Bethesda statement on open access publishing

From: guedon <jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:02:45 -0500

It would be really useful to try distinguishing between open access,
open access publishing and open access publication.

In my book, open access, by definition, is open to the public and,
therefore, is a form of publishing. As a result, all open access belongs
to the set of open access publishing. Starting from the other end, all
open access publishing is necessarily in open access and therefore is
open access. Conclusion, open access and open access publishing are
synonyms.

"Open access publication" refers to a publishing structure that is at
least inspired by the model of a traditional journal. Peer-reviewed
articles are placed in open access under a single title such as PLoS
Medicine. "Open access publication" is a particular strategy within open
access publishing and it aims at taking full advantage of the branding
capacity of journals.

Open access publishing can exist without any form of branding; open
access publications cannot.

One of the theses I presented in a recent paper
( http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00987913) is that one
reason why pure OA publishing (i.e. using open access repositories
without any further requirements or qualifications) is not terribly
attractive to a great many authors (at least in the rich countries) is
that they cannot clearly see the advantages in doing so. Preliminary
research tends to demonstrate that there are advantages, but
confirmations are greatly needed and better publicity of the fact is
required. Meanwhile, most scientists remain indifferent to the
repositories. Even with huge advocacy efforts, as is the case at the
University of Glasgow, only about 20% of the papers get deposited.
Clearly, there is a problem.

some form of mandating. While this is realistic enough, it also
demonstrates the limits of pure OA à la Harnad. Arguing in favour of
mandating is also an admission of these limits.

In the paper mentioned above, I argued that, in parallel with mandating
(not against it, mind you), finding ways to make the repositories
profitable from an author's viewpoint was important. I suggested that
what made publications (as distinguished from publishing) attractive to
authors is their branding ability and I therefore suggested a way to
build similar capacity with institutional repositories.

Note that in all of this, I have not said a negative word against the
repositories, archiving, open access, etc. Quite the contrary! All I
have said is that the green road left to its pure devices does not seem
to possess what is needed to bring about full open access publishing (=
open access as per above). I support the green roads, but simply ask we
go a step further. And I do not believe advocating this blurs the
vision, deters efforts or slows down the movement toward OA, quite the
contrary. Unlike Stevan harnad, I do not see these two approaches as
competing with each other; neither do I see them as part of some kind of
zero-sum game where doing work in one way can only deter, weaken or
defer progress toward OA.

Jean-Claude Guédon